Carroll County, the City of Galax, Grayson County, and Crossroads Institute hired Design Nine in January of 2007 to conduct an extensive broadband planning effort for the three Virginia localities.
This project received approval in June, 2007 from DHCD to proceed with implementation, using a regional authority to manage the network. RFPs were issued in August for equipment and services, and customers and service providers will be using the network before the end of 2007. Construction is currently well advanced. The project is now called "The Wired Road."
Carroll-Grayson-Galax selected Design Nine to provide project management for the implementation of Phase One of the network. Design Nine helped the local governments assemble all the financing needed to complete the initial design. Design Nine work has included needs assessment, fiber and wireless infrastructure design, Management Team meetings, broadband education efforts, financial and business planning, and construction estimates. Design Nine's team include wireless and fiber engineers, a telecom lawyer, and broadband business analysts.
- Identify existing fiber and wireless assets.
- Develop a regional network design that incorporates existing wireless and fiber projects.
- Supervise all construction work and provide quality assurance and vendor task management.
- Identify an appropriate legal entity that will manage all network assets on behalf of the local government partners and that will also manage day to day network operations and maintenance.
- Perform a detailed financial analysis that includes construction cost estimates, revenue estimates, staffing, maintenance, upgrades, and other network operational issues.
- Develop a business model for the network that treats each of the three local government partners equitably and provides for new revenue streams for the partner governments.
- Provide a complete range of project management services, including vendor selection, management of construction, and network design.